The aim of this website is to freely provide web-based software applications that assess the economics of energy businesses and projects.
This website is developed and maintained by Dr. Yakubu Abdul-Salam of the Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Salam works in the Centre for Energy Economics Research and Policy (CEERP) under the Institute of Petroleum Engineering of the university.
The tools hosted on this website are designed and written by Salam, whose background is in Engineering and Economics, with a BSc. honours in Chemical Engineering (2004-2008, Upper Second Class)
from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST, Ghana); an MSc. in Petroleum and Energy
Economics (2009-2010, Distinction) and a PhD in Economics (2011-2014), both from the University of Aberdeen.
Salam's work in CEERP is focused on high dimensional data analytics towards the publication of the BP Statistical Review of World Energy and the BP World Energy Outlook.
Salam is experienced in economic modelling and software development, and has software expertise in GAMS, MATLAB, STATA, VISUAL STUDIO and ARCGIS among others. Salam's academic publications include;
- Abdul-Salam, Y. (2018). 'A Stochastic Anaerobic Digestion Economic Assessment Tool (SADEAT)'. SoftwareX. Vol 7, pp. 190-197. DOI: 10.1016/j.softx.2018.05.004
- Abdul-Salam, Y. & Phimister, EC. (2016). 'The Politico-Economics of Electricity Planning in Developing Countries: A Case Study of Ghana'. Energy Policy. Vol 88C, pp. 299-309. DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2015.10.036
- Abdul-Salam, Y., Ehlers, M., Harnmeijer, J. (2017). 'Anaerobic Digestion of Feedstock Grown on Marginal Land: Break-Even Electricity Prices'. Energies. Vol 10(9), 1416. DOI:10.3390/en10091416
- Abdul-Salam, Y. & Phimister, EC. (2016). ‘How effective are heuristic solutions for electricity planning in developing countries’. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. Vol 55, pp. 14-24. DOI: 10.1016/j.seps.2016.04.004
- Abdul-Salam, Y. (2018). 'Stochastic (Combined Heat and Power) Anaerobic Digestion Economic Assessment Tool'. SoftwareX
- Abdul-Salam, Y., Hawes, C., Roberts, D., Young, M. (2018). 'The economics of alternative crop production systems in the context of farmer participation in carbon trading markets'. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
- Colen, L.; Melo, C.; Abdul-Salam, Y.; Roberts, D. et al (2018). 'Income elasticities for food, calories and nutrients across Africa: A meta-analysis'. Food Policy
- Abdul-Salam, Y. & Phimister, EC. (2016). ‘Efficiency Effects of Access to Information on Small Scale Agriculture: Empirical Evidence from Uganda using Stochastic Frontier and IRT Models’. Journal of Agricultural Economics. Vol 68.2 DOI:10.1111/1477-9552.12194
- Smith, JU., Fischer, A., Hallett, PD., Homans, HY., Smith, P., Abdul-Salam, Y., Emmerling, HH. & Phimister, EC. (2015). 'Sustainable use of organic resources for bioenergy, food and water provision in rural Sub-Saharan Africa'. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol 50, pp. 903-917. DOI: 10.1016/J.RSER.2015.04.071
- Vinten, A., Sample, J., Ibiyemi, A., Abdul-Salam, Y., Stutter, M., (2017), 'A tool for cost-effectiveness analysis of field scale sediment bound phosphorus mitigation measures and application to analysis of spatial and temporal targeting in the Lunan water catchment, Scotland'. Science of the Total Environment Vol 586 pp.631-641: DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.02.034
- Harnmeijer, J., Allan, G., Abdul-Salam, Y. (2017). ‘The Economic Impact of Local Energy Economies.’ A report prepared for the Scottish Centre of Expertise on Climate Change (‘ClimateXChange’)